The first commercial canned cranberry sauce was put on the market by the Cape Cod Cranberry Company in 1912. Today, cranberry sauce is an essential part of American and Canadian Thanksgiving celebrations.
Folk remedieshave suggested that ginger will help settle an uneasy stomach and drinking ginger ale, or other ginger infused beverages, prior to flying will help prevent motion sickness.
Native Americans and Pilgrims used cranberries, which are also called “bounceberries” because they bounce when ripe, as a red dye.
Only 5% of cranberries are sold fresh. The remaining 95% are turned into cranberry juice, cranberry sauce, and other cranberry products. Speaking of cranberry juice, it was first made in the 1600’s and today it is a popular folk remedy used to prevent and treat urinary tract infections.
The ginger root is not actually a root, but a rhizome. Even today, ginger is considered to be one of the most important spices/herbs in the world.